I think that the minority that makes decisions in the world are not very attached to the average citizen. What are people doing these days?, open a People magazine. Someone should make a short movie about the differences between average America and fake/snob/Hollywood America. There are many rich people with many things, but are intelligent, family focused, not overly pampered. People that don't give everything to their kids, teach discipline, and plan on helping their kids make their own future.
There are also the dumb, pampered, ridiculous Americans that other countries would point to and say that's what all Americans are like. The kind that have no respect or sense of responsibility, that are ignorant, "let them eat cake", manipulating showcases of infidelity that cause the eastern world to call for Death to America. These people are ruining the "average" American.
I think a documentary would be well placed on this subject. Anyway, enough from me.
Maybe it's because I work in retail and food services, but I think the negative image of Americans isn't very wrong. But I think it's probably true of most affluent peoples (can we even say peoples?).
I think the larger problem is that there isn't a singular identity that comes with being an American, and it's annoying when folks speak to me as if there is.
And thanks for the comments Matt, I like your line about the eastern world calling for death to America- as I read it I thought "oh matt, posting that line on your firey sister's blog while she's reading Orientalism." But hey, if I tried to comment on any aspect of your blog other than cartwheels and whinny the Pooh I'd meet a worse fate :-)
PS-I think my comment sounded more snotty than I intended, Matt. But as the most reproductively gifted in our family it's up to you to change things around. Remember, Only YOU can prevent affluenza :-)
5 kommentarer:
I think that the minority that makes decisions in the world are not very attached to the average citizen. What are people doing these days?, open a People magazine. Someone should make a short movie about the differences between average America and fake/snob/Hollywood America. There are many rich people with many things, but are intelligent, family focused, not overly pampered. People that don't give everything to their kids, teach discipline, and plan on helping their kids make their own future.
There are also the dumb, pampered, ridiculous Americans that other countries would point to and say that's what all Americans are like. The kind that have no respect or sense of responsibility, that are ignorant, "let them eat cake", manipulating showcases of infidelity that cause the eastern world to call for Death to America. These people are ruining the "average" American.
I think a documentary would be well placed on this subject. Anyway, enough from me.
Forgot to say that it seems like the world is misinformed, or at least we are misrepresenting themselves.
Maybe it's because I work in retail and food services, but I think the negative image of Americans isn't very wrong. But I think it's probably true of most affluent peoples (can we even say peoples?).
I think the larger problem is that there isn't a singular identity that comes with being an American, and it's annoying when folks speak to me as if there is.
And thanks for the comments Matt, I like your line about the eastern world calling for death to America- as I read it I thought "oh matt, posting that line on your firey sister's blog while she's reading Orientalism." But hey, if I tried to comment on any aspect of your blog other than cartwheels and whinny the Pooh I'd meet a worse fate :-)
PS-I think my comment sounded more snotty than I intended, Matt. But as the most reproductively gifted in our family it's up to you to change things around. Remember, Only YOU can prevent affluenza :-)
Send en kommentar